Wild animals never make for good houseguests and squirrels are a particular nuisance. Drawn by the promise of a warm shelter and ample food, squirrels often attempt to move into homes in Virginia. Within your attic, squirrels destroy everything they can file their teeth on and they’ll soil your insulation with urine and droppings.
Trust us, you don’t want to deal with a squirrel infestation in your home in Virginia. But how do you keep these persistent pests outside? Read on for a checklist of ways to protect your home from squirrels.
A Squirrel Prevention Checklist for VA Homeowners
- Don’t place bird feeders on your deck or immediately behind your home in Virginia. Squirrels are attracted by bird seed and more likely to invade your home if they associate it with a food source. Keep bird feeders closer to the edge of your property instead.
- Keep all outdoor garbage cans tightly lidded. Squirrels will gladly steal scraps from your trash and will come to rely on your garbage cans as a food source if they are easily accessible.
- Never leave pet food outside unattended. Squirrels will munch on it just as happily as your dog or cat, and are likely to start hanging around your Virginia home in hopes of more free meals.
- Clean up nuts or fruit that fall from the trees around your yard. Squirrels will feed on it or bury it in your yard for later use, and this makes them more likely to invade your home in Virginia.
- Trim back any branches that scrape up against your walls or hang over your roof. Squirrels are nimble climbers who can easily use tree limbs to gain access to your roof and find a way into your attic. Pruning these branches makes a squirrel infestation much less likely.
- Seal any cracks in your siding and soffits. Squirrels will take advantage of these cracks to enter your home in Virginia. Routinely inspect your roof for damage, too.
- Place squirrel-proof covers over any vent openings on the exterior of your home. Squirrels can use these openings like doorways unless you use a mesh cover or other barrier to prevent their access.
We Can Keep Squirrels Out of Your Home
Preventing squirrel infestations is much easier when you work with a professional wildlife control company. Contact Pest Proof Pest Management today if you need squirrel prevention or removal services for your home in Virginia!